Knowledgebase: How Stuff Works
EPIPE error on Backup2Go workstation
Posted by Andre Kuehnemund on 16 February 2015 11:16

Customer reported EPIPE errors on multiple Backup2Go workstations. Workstations were not being backed up.

B2Go Server:

...
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:55][1254.b02ab000][-conn:lexxsrv:1] Error: Start backup 'MacMini-23-01.local' (10090): low space on /Volumes/XYZ/BACKUP_B2G/10090
...

Workstation log:

...
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:54][44.b07d5000][-thread:b07d5000-] Notice: Started copy to remote directory '/Volumes/XYZ/BACKUP_B2G/10090'
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:55][44.b0879000][-bktpt:b0879000-] Notice: bucketpool thread starting
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:55][44.b0879000][-bktpt:b0879000-] Warning: bucketpool thread exiting with exception
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:55][44.b07d5000][-thread:b07d5000-] Error: Write to server: error writing to device: 'EPIPE' (broken pipe)
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:55][44.b07d5000][-thread:b07d5000-] Notice: Copied 24 entries, 286.00 KB
[13/Feb/2015:11:32:55][44.b07d5000][-thread:b07d5000-] Notice: Completed copy to remote directory '/Volumes/XYZ/BACKUP_B2G/10090'
...

 

The issue here was not a network comnnectivity error, but the fact that the volume the Backup2Go repository resided on was at least 90 percent full. The Backup2Go server stops performing workstation backups once the volume utilization has reached that 90 percent threshold. P5 needs the remaining 10 percent for caching, maintenance and janitorial tasks. The bigger the volume, the more space P5 needs for those purposes - hence the percentage threshold, as opposed to a fixed number of GB.

From the 5.0.5 release notes:

"B2Go backup stops if the available space on the filesystem where repository is pointing to drops below 10 %."

(1 vote(s))
Helpful
Not helpful

Comments (2)
forum69
25 June 2015 17:56
Hello,

Some of our Backup2 go client displays the same logs. But the volume is not full :

(mine a 10.10.3 mac os client, backup2go client and server versions : 4.4.12) :
[25/Jun/2015:17:46:35][65.b0179000][-bktpt:b0179000-] Notice: bucketpool thread starting
[25/Jun/2015:17:46:36][65.b0179000][-bktpt:b0179000-] Warning: bucketpool thread exiting with exception
[25/Jun/2015:17:46:36][65.b0423000][-thread:b0423000-] Error: Write to server: error writing to device: 'EPIPE' (broken pipe)
[25/Jun/2015:17:46:36][65.b0423000][-thread:b0423000-] Notice: Copied 16 entries, 436.00 KB
[25/Jun/2015:17:46:36][65.b0423000][-thread:b0423000-] Notice: Completed copy to remote directory '/Volumes/SAUVEGARDES/Postes clients/ALL/10375'

mercure:~ root# df
Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 25389948080 17458155312 7931792768 69% /Volumes/SAUVEGARDES

sincerely,
Andre Kuehnemund
20 August 2015 10:20
There are a number of reasons for EPIPE errors. Most of them a connection related. The above article refers to an instance where the cause of the error was not connection related. Instead it was caused by a full server volume.
Post a new comment
 
 
Full Name:
Email:
Comments:
CAPTCHA Verification 
 
Please enter the text you see in the image into the textbox below (we use this to prevent automated submissions).

ERROR: This domain name (portal.archiware.com), does not match the domain name in the license key file support.archiware.com.

For assistance with your license, please contact the Kayako support team: https://support.kayako.com